hello! it's been quite a while since i abandoned the 23 things and gave up on this blog. real life got in the way for a bit, but i'm going to make a concerted effort to post more/at all from now on. let me give you an update on what i'm up to!
- my contract at the rnib national library service has been extended, thankfully. i still enjoy it very much and i still feel like i'm learning, which is the most important thing.
- i've been accepted on to a distance learning masters degree at the university of borås. the course is called 'digital library services' and i start at the end of august (i think). i already have an undergraduate degree in librarianship and many of the masters degrees at uk universities look as if they go over similar ground. and they're expensive!
the borås course looks really interesting and a bit technical too! i am usually a bit rubbish at that kind of thing, so i'm looking forward to filling large gaps in my knowledge. and also the course is free. and also also, the once a year trips to sweden will really help me improve my swedish. hopefully.
- i'm planning on doing some cataloguing volunteering with the north of england mining institute in newcastle. they have a lot of marc records that need cleaning up and you're able to do it remotely, so i'm going to use it as an opportunity to get more practice.
- i recently bought anne welsh's excellent 'practical cataloguing' and was very excited to see that something i wrote had been referenced! amazing. it was a terrible article i wrote for catalogue and index, cilip cataloguing and indexing group's journal. i'm still pleased though, as long as nobody looks up the article. i'd definitely like to try and write more stuff and do a bit of presenting, but i just need to think of something to write/present about first. i don't feel as if i'm enough of an expert yet!
- i'm on the committee for cilip north west branch. i'm currently assisting with events and we have a couple of things in the pipeline that i'd like to get involved with, so that's something to look forward to as well.
so all in all, i should have loads to blog about. it'll be interesting to see how much time the masters course takes up. i'm both excited and nervous about it! i managed to do a full time undergraduate degree while working an almost full time job at the same time, but it was extremely hairy at times. this is only a part time course so it should be a doddle! time will tell.
anyway, hopefully i'll have lots to say on here from now on!